Imagine yourself driving a snowmobile on Langjökull, Iceland’s second largest glacier and then entering inside to see the largest man-made ice tunnel in the world!
About the Snowmobile Tour
The snowmobile tour is an amazing first-hand experience of the power and beauty of “Langjokull” Iceland’s second largest glacier. Get ready to drive yourself up to the ice tunnels located 1300 meters above sea level to enjoy the amazing view just below the clouds. An experienced guide will lead the tour and also teach the basics of operating a snowmobile. Anyone 16 years or older with a driver’s license can take part in this once in a lifetime adventure. Midway through the snowmobile ride our guides will take you into the icy world of Langjokull where you enjoy the amazing man-made tunnels leading to the heart of the glacier. After you have finished your journey inside you will be taken back to Húsafell for the end of your tour.
The tour will start at Húsafell center located 2 hours away from Reykjavik. GPS coordinates for Húsafell are listed here below. For driving instructions please see them here. For those that require a transfer from Reykjavik please check out our tour “Into and Above the Glacier”. The setup for this tour is two persons per snowmobile, each taking turns driving or enjoying the view from the back of the sled. You will be provided with a snowsuit, helmet, and gloves before the start of the tour but we also recommend bringing good outdoor clothing and waterproof shoes for this journey.
Driving a snowmobile on Langjokull glacier.
A visit to the largest man-made ice tunnel in the world.
Please note that the meeting point for this tour is at Húsafell.
Departure times are 10:00 am or 12:30 pm from our reception in Húsafell center (located in the same area as Hotel Húsafell)
Húsafell – N64 41.950 W20 52.118
To operate a snowmobile, the driver must present a valid driver‘s license.
The minimum age for joining this tour as a passenger is 6 yrs.
***Please note that road 550 leading to Húsafell from Þingvellir National park is CLOSED from October until June and is recommended ONLY for 4×4 cars when open.***
***Please take road 1 towards Borgarnes and road 50 and 518 to Húsafell.***
- The trip starts in Húsafell center. Located around 2 hours away from Reykjavik.
- Snowmobile self-drive from base camp to the Into the Glacier ice tunnel on Langjokull.
- Experienced snowmobile guide.
- Guided Ice tunnel tour for about one hour.
- Snowmobile self-drive back from ice caves to base camp.
- Snowmobile ride on Langjokull glacier – Operated by Mountaineers.
- Entrance to the Ice tunnels on Langjokull
- English speaking guide during the snowmobile ride and inside the ice tunnels
MANDATORY FOR TOUR: WARM CLOTHING – even in summer – and a driver’s license.
- Recommended clothing and equipment:
- Waterproof shoes and warm socks. Because cold toes just take away all the fun!
- Base and mid layer clothing
- Waterproof and warm coat
- Hat & gloves – easy to take off.
- Sunglasses – sun on the glacier shines very bright when it shines…
- Camera – for those indescribable moments – We love to see your good time in Langjokull – please share! #intogheglacier
Terms and conditions
- We reserve the right to change the itinerary and the mode of transport/cancel the trip, according to weather or road conditions, or circumstances beyond our control.
- For operating a snowmobile, drivers must present a valid driver‘s license.
- The minimum age for joining this tour is 6 yrs.
- The rate is per person and is based on 2 persons sharing a snowmobile.
- In the winter time, the duration of the tours may vary according to weather and road conditions.
- Please note that our partners Mountaineers operate the snowmobile part of the tour