Imagine yourself driving a snowmobile on the second biggest glacier in Iceland on your way Into The Glacier… Yes, this is your adventure!
About the Snowmobile Tour
The Snowmobile Tour is something else! You and a partner will share snowmobile and drive yourselves up to the ice tunnels on Langjokull glacier. An English speaking very experienced guide will lead the way and teach the basics in snowmobile riding. Anyone 16 years and older with a drivers licence can take part in this once in a life time adventure.
Drive yourself to our base camp Klaki, located by the glacier’s edge, and check in. Directions to drive to the base camp is listed below. Bus to Husafell from Reykjavik is also an option (but not included in tour). There are two persons per snowmobile, taking turns driving and relaxing at the back. Driving up to the ice tunnels at 1300m above sea level is an amazing experience with spectacular views over the glacier and the Icelandic highlands. After the snowmobile fun the guide takes you Into The Glacier where you enjoy this amazing man-made tunnels inside the glacier. For a whole hour you will enjoy the beauty and force of mother nature first hand inside the glacier. After the Into The Glacier experience you drive the snowmobile back to base camp, about 2,5 hours later.
Drive a snowmobile on Langjokull glacier – Guided tour Into The Glacier.
Summer 2017 (1.6.-15.10): Please note that the meeting point is at Klaki.
Please note that the mountain road 550 which connects both Húsafell and Þingvellir national park to Klaki base camp is a rough gravel road ONLY suitable for 4×4 vehicles during summer (mid June-mid October).
Shuttle is available from Húsafell to Klaki base camp. The price is 2.000 ISK per person for the round trip.
Shuttle departures from Húsafell:
09:20 from Húsafell for the 10:00 departure from Klaki base camp.
11:50 from Húsafell for the 12:30 departure from Klaki base camp.
Húsafell – N64 41.950 W20 52.118
Klaki base camp – N64 39.014 W20 34.962
To operate a snowmobile, driver must present a valid driver‘s license.
Minimum age for joining this tour as a passenger is 6 yrs.
Winter 2016-2017 (16.10-31.5): Please note that the meeting point is at Húsafell.
***Please note that road 550 is CLOSED from October until June.***
***Please take road 1 towards Borgarnes and road 50 and 518 to Húsafell.***
- Trip starts at Klaki base camp by Langjokull glacier’s edge. Please use the shuttle if you do not have a 4×4 vehicle
- Snowmobile self-drive from base camp to the Into the Glacier ice tunnel on Langjokull
- Experienced snowmobile guide
- Snowmobile drive takes about one hour
- Guided Ice cave tour for about one our
- Snowmobile self-drive back from ice caves to base camp
- Snowmobile ride on Langjokull glacier – Operated by Mountaineers.
- Entrance Into the Glacier
- English speaking guidance on snowmobile ride and in the ice tunnels
MANDATORY: WARM CLOTHING – even in summer – and a driver’s license.
- Recommended clothing and equipment:
- Waterproof shoes and warm socks. Because cold toes just take away all the fun!
- Base and mid layer clothing
- Waterproof and warm coat
- Hat & gloves – easy to take off.
- Sunglasses – sun on the glacier shines very bright when it shines…
- Camera – for those indescribable moments – We love to see your good time in Langjokull – please share! #intogheglacier
Terms and conditions
- We reserve the right to change the itinerary and the mode of transport/cancel the trip, according to weather or road conditions, or circumstances beyond our control.
- For operating a snowmobile, drivers must present a valid driver‘s license.
- Minimum age for joining this tour is 6 yrs.
- Rate is per person and is based on 2 persons sharing a snowmobile.
- In the winter time the duration of the tours may vary according to weather and road conditions.
- Please note that our partners Mountaineers operate the snowmobile part of the tour