Come join us for an adventure that will lead you to the untouched beauty and raw nature of Langjokull, Iceland’s second largest glacier. Enjoy the opportunity of a lifetime as we journey up the white slopes and go deep inside the man-made ice tunnels leading to the blue heart of the glacier. We will ride in modified glacier vehicles specially made to explore the glacier environment and enjoy the view as we drive on top of the ice cap.
Our experienced guides will lead the way and make sure that everyone is both enjoying themselves and learning the basics of glacier knowledge.
Join us for this once in a lifetime trip and explore the rare sights both on top of Langjokull glacier and inside the man-made ice tunnels. Book your Into the Glacier adventure today.
Summer (1.June – 15.October): Please note that the tour starts either directly from Klaki base camp or with a shuttle transfer from Húsafell to Klaki
Please take the shuttle from Húsafell if you do not have a 4×4 vehicle to reach Klaki base camp. Information about departures from Klaki base camp can be seen here
The shuttle departure times from Húsafell are:
10:00, 12:30 and 15:00
The shuttle ride takes approximately 40 minutes and costs 2.000 ISK for the round trip.
Please note that the mountain road 550 which connects both Húsafell and Þingvellir national park to Klaki base camp is a rough gravel road ONLY suitable for 4×4 vehicles and is only open during summer, mid-June to mid-October.
Húsafell – N64 41.950 W20 52.118
Klaki base camp – N64 39.014 W20 34.962
Winter (16.10-31.5): Please note that the meeting point is at Húsafell center.
***Please use road 1 towards Borgarnes and road 50 and 518 to Húsafell.***
***Please note that road 550 is CLOSED from October until June.***
- Drive yourself from Reykjavik (or another starting point) to Husafell or Klaki base camp.
- During winter, always use road 1 towards Borgarnes and road 50 and 518 to Húsafell.
- Shuttle departures are available from Husafell to Klaki base camp at 10:00, 12:30 and 15:00 (1st of June- 15th of October)
- Specially modified glacier vehicles take you up to the ice tunnels and back, about 30 min. each way during summer and 75 min each way during winter.
- Ice tunnel tour with guide for about an hour.
- The tour is around 4 hours from Húsafell
- Please note that the duration of the tour may be longer than scheduled, due to conditions on the glacier.
Please notice that departure in this tour is from Husafell or Klaki at Langjokull Glacier’s edge. You will need your own car to drive to the glacier where the tour starts.
- Tour in a specially modified glacier vehicle on Langjokull glacier. Departure from either Husafell or Klaki base camp.
- Entrance and English speaking guidance in the ice cave and tunnels.
- English speaking driver/ guide/audio guidance.
- Free WiFi in glacier vehicles.
- If needed snowsuits and overshoes are provided during check-in.
- Crampons / Spikes for ice walk inside tunnels. Provided upon entering the tunnels.
MANDATORY: WARM CLOTHING – even in summer, don´t forget it’s a glacier!
- Recommended clothing and equipment:
- Waterproof shoes and warm socks. Because cold toes just take away all the fun!
- Base and mid layer clothing.
- Waterproof and warm coat.
- Hat & gloves.
- Sunglasses – the glacier reflects high amounts of sunlight
- Camera – for those indescribable moments. We love to see your good time in Langjokull please share! #intogheglacier
Terms & Conditions
- We reserve the right to change the itinerary and the mode of transport or cancel the tour, according to weather or road conditions, or circumstances beyond our control.
- Please note that the duration of the tours may vary according to weather and road conditions.
- Half price discount for 12-15 years old – does not apply to group bookings