This is an adventure you shouldn’t miss – to explore inside another world, inside the core of Langjokull glacier with your own eyes, a 2500 years old, second largest ice cap in Iceland. We will be transported in a glacier vehicle up to the tunnel‘s entrance which is at 1250 m above sea level. On our way there, we will make many stops at interesting places, for instance at historical and geothermal areas.
The journey takes us up on the glacier, away from everything else. Here, Iceland is definitely the appropriate name for this island. This trip is probably the closest you get to experiencing the Ice Age!
We leave Reykjavik and head on towards Húsafell. On our way up towards the glacier we will make different stops. The places we will visit are Deildartunguhver geothermal area, Reykholt´s Snorralaug geothermal hot spots and the waterfalls Hraunfossar and Barnafoss.
From Hraunfossar and Barnafoss we will head on to the glacier – this lands second largest glacier, after Vatnajokull glacier.
At the edge of the glacier we will board the huge monster truck that will take us up all the way to the tunnel‘s entrance which is located really high on the glacier, almost at its peak. The tunnel is human made but designed so you can follow the formation of a glacier. From normal snow to glacial ice you can see the layers formed over time. It‘s magical to see. This sub-glacial level world of snow and ice, is buried deep inside the mighty 953 km2 glacier.
We will stay in the tunnel for about 50 minutes exploring them to the fullest, the crevasses, moulins (glacier mills), waterways, ice layers and spaces between them. This will give you first hand experience of the different types of snow and ice, and the process of the glacier evolving.
Northern Lights Tour
On the way back to Reykjavík, your guide will take you wherever it is most likely to catch a glimpse of the magical northern lights. Your guide will carefully study the weather forecast and take their experience into account when deciding on which way to go when searching for the Northern lights. Hopefully you will find them on the tour, but please note that the northern lights are a natural phenomena and guarantees of seeing them are not possible. Afterwards you will return back to your accommodation in Reykjavík after this legendary journey of cultural history and geological importance.
We kindly ask you to be ready for your pick up between 11:00 and 11:30. Extreme Iceland bus will stop in front of your hotel/guesthouse.
If the Northern Lights don’t show up on your tour you can contact Extreme Iceland´s sales team: firstname.lastname@example.org and they will book you on the Magical Auroras tour, free of charge upon availability. Please remember to mention your booking number in the email. Please note that the Aurora Bonus is available once per customer.
- Tour company: Extreme Iceland
- Day Tour from Reykjavik
- Pick up is 30 minutes before your departure at your hotel
- Departure at 11:30 during winter from Reykjavik
- Stop at the spectacular Hraunfossar waterfalls, Reykholt (Snorri´s Pool), Deildartunguhver geothermal area
- Lunch stop at Husafell, about 30 min. from the glacier’s edge
- Glacier Tour with specially modified glacier vehicles
- Guided tour in English into the glacier
- About one hour inside the ice caves with guide
- Northern Light tour on the way back to Reykjavik
- Estimated arrival back in Reykjavik is around 23:30
- Glacier Wonderland & Northern Lights – day tour with Extreme Iceland
- Hotel pick up OUTSIDE the hotel/guesthouse (the drivers do not go inside the hotel)
- Stop at Hraunfossar waterfalls, Husafell village, Reykholt (Snorri´s Pool), Deildartunguhver geothermal area, and Langjokull glacier
- Tour to the ice cave on Langjokull glacier with a specially modified glacier vehicle
- Northern Light tour on the way back to Reykjavik.
- (If you do not see the Northern Lights on your tour you, can contact our sales team: email@example.com and we will book you on the Magical Auroras tour, free of charge upon availability. Please remember to mention your booking number in the email. Please note that the Aurora Bonus is available once per customer.)
- Drop off at your hotel in Reykjavik
MANDATORY: WARM CLOTHING – even in summer, don´t forget it’s a glacier!
- Recommended clothing and equipment:
- Waterproof shoes and warm socks. Because cold toes just take away all the fun!
- Base and mid layer clothing
- Waterproof and warm coat
- Hat & gloves – easy to take off.
- Sunglasses – sun on the glacier shines very bright when it shines…
- Camera – for those indescribable moments
- We reserve the right to change the itinerary and the mode of transport/cancel the trip, according to weather or road conditions, or circumstances beyond our control.
- Half price discount for 12-15 years old – does not apply to group bookings
- In the winter time the duration of the tours may vary according to weather and road conditions.